... the Appalachian Trail to be precise. A few days prior to our anniversary, Justin came up with the idea for us to spend it hiking to the Pinnacle where we got engaged. If you are unfamiliar with our engagement story, check out the
About Us section at the bottom of the page or by viewing my
facebook album on the subject :) We had not been back to the Pinnacle since the day that he proposed. I immediately loved the idea and the nostalgia that would most likely ensue. Our intention to start out bright and early didn't quite happen. The alarm went off at 6am with Justin annoucing "We're tired" and turning it back off. We eventually rolled out of bed a little before 8am, and arrived in Hamburg, Pa around quarter of 11am.
 |
| Justin wore his mountaineering boots again... slightly overkill but since this is the closest he's gotten to mountain climbing recently, I keep my mouth shut :) |
 |
At the gate, ready for the 4 mile trek up! (take note that I started this hike wearing a fleece... on top of a long sleeve shirt, on top of a short sleeve short, on top of a tank top.... overkill.) |
 |
| Justin put the map away before I got a chance to take his picture. We got lost in this same place last time :) |
 |
| Pulpit Rock. Because we got lost on our last hike up here, we had bypassed this spot. It was beautiful. |
 |
| View from Pulpit Rock |
 |
| Taking a break along the side of the trail. Notice the tank top. haha |
 |
| The large pile of rocks just before you reach the Pinnacle. -- we have now added 2 rocks to the pile! :) |
 |
Took us about 3 hours, but we finally made it to the Pinnacle. We spent about an hour or so there, taking a brief nap on one of the rocks. (note my wardrobe change, yet again..haha)

 I wore my old sneaks again... and again it was not the best idea. My feet are hurting today!
 This is the very spot where he popped the question!!!
 |
I'm so glad we made the 4 mile up/ 4mile down hike to this special place. It really did bring back such wonderful memories for me. On our way back down, we somehow managed to get lost. He will point the finger at me, since I was leading the way. I assure you that I was following the white blazes (trail markings), but somehow we ended up in no mans land. So I followed my little Eagle Scout, as he led us off the trail and through the forest. I really wasn't concerned at all. I just had to stifle my laughter as he consulted his map and compass. :) We eventually found ourselves back on the trail and actually got to the car in record time.
I had told Justin that I would be expecting some kind of prize to come out of the backpack when we reached the Pinnacle, keeping with tradition and all. While there was no prize in the backpack, he did satisfy my craving for a diet Mountain Dew on the way home. And at the time, that seemed just as good :)
That evening we had our anniversary dinner at Pietro's Prime in West Chester with dessert waiting for us at home....We had eaten the top of our wedding cake at our 1 month anniversary (Justin's love of cake could not be made to wait an entire year...)
But we did save one of our chocolate wedding favors, and though slightly frozen, attempted to eat them in lieu of our cake.
Solid rock. They are now thawing on the counter. :)
Love this post! And the last picture :) So cute! Glad you had a great anniversary!
ReplyDelete