Thursday, January 30, 2014

For my mother.

My little boy is just shy of 7 months old. He's incredibly personable, laughing, babbling, and responding to us in different ways. He is one of my life's greatest joys. I cannot fathom something happening to him. I let my mind go there sometimes, though I know I shouldn't. I've imagined walking into his room to find him lifeless in his crib more times than I can count. I imagine what I would do, what Justin would do. What our families would do and say when they heard the news. How we would feel coming home to his decorated nursery after he was gone. Packing up his clothes and toys. I know- it's horrible! The very thought of anything like that happening causes an actual pain in my chest. I cannot believe the horror that I only imagine, was in fact a reality for my mother.

I was only 4 when my brother, Dustin, died of SIDS on January 29, 1988. He was 7 months old. I only vaguely remember the day. Some of my memories, I'm not sure are even memories, or if they are simply images I developed as a result of being told the story. I've shared the details of the day with friends and coworkers through the years. I've always been sad for my mother, seeing how upset she becomes when she talks about it. She doesn't dwell in the sadness of it, so you will not catch her talking about it often. Though she will happily tell you about him, if you ask. I used to think I knew how awful it must have been for her- at least had a vague idea. But I was wrong.


I look at my little boy now, and tears come to my eyes at what my mother has lost. I had no clue what losing a baby might be like. And unless, God forbid, something like that happens to Owen- I will never know. But I do now understand the love of a mother for her child. It's a bond I truly cannot imagine being broken. In my head I know that if ever the worst happen, I would have to trust God and remind myself that "His ways are not my ways". But I don't know if I'd have the strength to say that if it actually happened. I have a new sense of wonder and amazement for my mom. While she has always expressed the pain of losing Dusty, she has also always acknowledged how God carried them through and how he worked in the hearts of so many others following Dusty's death.


I know you can't live in fear of all the "what if's" that occur in this life, but it's so hard as a Mom to handle all the worry, or more importantly, to hand all the worry over to God. Especially when you've seen tragedy strike so close to home- or your very own home for that matter. We take caution where we need to and use common sense, of course. But the rest must be entrusted to him. 


When I put Owen down for bed at night, I routinely rock him and sing, "Jesus Loves Me". Every now and then, I catch myself tearing up (no surprise there) at the lyric, "..Little ones to Him belong..."  I love being reminded of this. It is so comforting to know that Jesus DOES love Owen, and that Owen ultimately belongs to Him. I rest a little easier, knowing that no matter what, my baby boy will be safe in the arms of Jesus.


 Thank you Mom, for the powerful example you are to me in this area. Your strength is a testament to His strength.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you! Just a simple thank you for your thoughts. When your brother left us, I sometimes would picture the Lord looking at us knowing the grief and pain; but also knowing how much we would need Him...how much we would learn...how much our faith would grow. Would I have changed things so Dustin had lived? In a heartbeat. BUT I can honestly say I am grateful, truly grateful, for all Dad and I learned about us, priorities, and most of all the absolute truth of scripture and the many promises of our Lord! The Lord promises that when we experience trials they will never be for nothing....where there is a negative, He will always supply a positive....a glimmer of light in the darkness. I truly can say His Word is true and He is faithful and trustworthy! I do not know if you remember, but on Dusty's grave is written: "Safe in the Arms of Jesus". Whether here or there, the Lord cares for these little ones! This same care extends to us as well.....so in the end -- especially with the birth of Daniel and Matthew -- I learned that the most comforting attribute in this particular trial is the Lord's sovereignty. Knowing He is in total control of ALL THINGS brought peace, comfort and purpose when being able to understand the "why" was impossible, when fear of losing another baby would weigh heavy on my heart. I hate to think of you fearful for Owen; but realize as a family - from smallest to oldest - the Lord has used Dusty's life and home-going for good. You, too, have learned. Dusty has been gone 26 years...and yet the Lord still uses his life and death to teach us. Every year that goes by I learn something new. The Lord never wastes a trial! LOVE YOU and appreciate this most special post! -- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can 100% identify with this post and your thoughts going into Owen's room. I have those very same thoughts about my children often, because my dear friend lost her little boy to sids 3 years ago. It was so hard to go through with her, but like your mom said there has been good to come from it. And often, it's given me perspective to hold loosely to the things of this world, even my kids (which is so hard). I feel like there are so many examples of how my perspective has changed since becoming a mom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was deeply touched by your loving tribute to your Mom. We never really understand the love of a mother until we have a child of our own. You are blessed to have your Mom as an example and a source of strength to you. She has taught you well...teaching you first and foremost about the Lord and His goodness and His mercy and His magnificent love. Thank you for sharing your heart so sweetly and so honestly.

    ReplyDelete