Friday, September 13, 2013

A mother's pride


It's a new feeling to me. I've experienced that proud feeling in other areas of course... a job well done at work, recognition from the boss, a compliment on my photography, or a nice comment about my husband. :) Those sorts of things do give me a sense of pride. I always want to do my best in both my work as a nurse and my ever-developing skill as a photographer- so naturally it is nice to be recognized. And of course, I'm proud of my husband when I hear others say nice things about him. But now I have this other little person to be proud of. And boy am I proud of him. It's funny, but I guess I didn't really realize how much until just the other day. I was leaving Crate & Barrel, when a nice older man offered to hold the door open for me, seeing that I was pushing a stroller. He commented on my 'little bundle of joy' and asked how old he was. I smiled and politely shared that he had just turned 2 months old. He went on to say that he was an OB anesthesiologist and that regardless of the number of births he has witnessed, it is always a miracle to him. I shared that I was a NICU nurse and felt the same way. He asked if Owen was a c-section and when I said no, he said, "Wow, really? His face is perfect!"  [insert a mamas beaming smile here]  We said our "nice to meet you's" and "goodbyes" and went on our way. When I got in the car with Owen, I just couldn't stop thinking about how that man's sweet compliment instilled this crazy strong sense of pride in my little boy.


As I've shared in previous posts, Owen is so content running errands. And with a new home and vacations coming up, we have been running lots of them! I don't necessarily love having strangers get all-up-in my baby's face... but I do enjoy hearing them "ooh" and "ahh" over my little man. Who doesn't love a baby, right!? And because Owen has suddenly decided he's "Mr. Social", the strangers often receive a nice big smile from him in return.


A friend recently shared that when she thinks about her son, she often starts to cry because that is the only way she can express her love for him. I completely understand. I often look into Owen's eyes- as he stares up at me doing some crazy antic to get him to smile- and midway through telling him how much I love him and how happy he makes me, I stop. Because I too have to hold back tears, at the realization of just how awesome he is, and how incredibly blessed I am to be his mama.
I'm sure every mom out there thinks their child is the absolute best, most darling, and handsome, etc. etc. etc. So I guess I'm no different. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love love!! So precious! His personality is certainly developing!

    ReplyDelete