Today I decided to experiment with a Green Monster. What is a Green Monster, you ask? Well, there are a zillion variations, but it is basically a green smoothie. It's green because it has spinach, kale or both in it. The food blog Oh She Glows is primarily responsible for the huge following which then resulted in her creating a new blog, The Green Monster Movement. The site has lots of green smoothie recipes on it. They claim these green smoothies promote healthy skin, hair and nails as well as providing lots of energy. I'm a huge vegetable lover and figured it was worth a try.
I started with the "virgin green monster"... basically the most basic one.
Ingredients:
2 cups spinach (loose cups, not packed the way I did it... oops)
1 cup milk (any kind, I only had 1% on hand but would like to try with almond milk)
1 banana (they suggest frozen, but mine wasn't)
Ice
... I also added 1 cup of orange juice
The result:
YUM!
I noticed on the website that she often shows the drink with a straw in it... and I think that's probably a good idea. It initially smells like banana but as I continued to drink it, I definitely was getting a 'greens' type of smell. It made more than I expected. I drank two and a half glasses because Justin refused to try it. :) I think I would try it again though.. maybe add some berries next time.
Go ahead and give it a whirl!






No comments:
Post a Comment