Monday, December 26, 2011

It's only the background.

The background of the photo above shows only part of the house that was destroyed in the fire last year. The fire began on the roof of the garage which used to stand right there behind us. I remember when we took the photo we did it as a sort of reminder to ourselves that WE were all still there. It was just a house. What burned up inside of it were just things. God protected our family that night. So on Christmas day we stood together, smiling for our Christmas photo despite the background of destruction or "ground zero" as I liked to call it. I'm not sure there was ever a time that we appreciated one another more... knowing one or more could have been lost. The year following the fire has been a difficult one for my family, while also being a year full of blessings. So this afternoon we all 'assumed our positions' to do a retake of the photo we had taken last Christmas. 
Some adjusting was needed as #1 Matt was sick and didn't want to hold Jake. #2 Catie no longer fits in an infant carrier. and #3 Benjamin wasn't here last Christmas :)
When I look at this photo, what stands out to me is ...my family. And I immediately feel the need to thank God for each of them. We do not know what tomorrow holds, nor if each of us will still be here. But I know that today and every day I am thankful for my family. The house is only the background.

3 comments:

  1. You are such a positive person :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith,

    Thank for posting this. I do a lot of preaching as part of my ministry, but you have said more and said it more profoundly with two photos and a few sentences than I could say in a hundred sermons. Thanks.

    Justin's Uncle Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, what an incredible God we serve! still blown away by His protection over your whole family!!!

    ReplyDelete