Monday, December 28, 2015

Warwick: Owen's new favorite spot

Those that know Justin, know that he is an outdoorsman to say the least. He grew up doing scouts (which I often tease him about) and even achieved the highest rank of Eagle Scout. Prior to meeting me, he did a lot of alpine climbing. His last climb was while we were engaged, and he hasn't been back on a mountain since. I have to put a disclaimer here and say that it is not me keeping him from climbing. I have always said that I would never keep him from doing what he loves. Remember when he wanted to do a climb in the Himalayas? He changed his mind about that one- thankfully! He hasn't pushed the topic (yet) but periodically says how much he's looking forward to climbing again.
He often talks about introducing our boys to the outdoors and climbing in particular. Four weeks ago, he took Owen to Warwick County Park for his first hike. He loved it. And I'm pretty sure that Justin loved that he loved it. 
They've gone every Saturday since then (weather permitting) and Owen really looks forward to it now. Justin's parents gave Owen his first pair of hiking boots for Christmas. So naturally, the Saturday after Christmas, they went hiking again. Justin's dad, Marshall, and myself also tagged along. He looked so stinking cute in his little hiking boots, I brought my camera too.



 He likes to pretend he sees bears...and walruses. No idea about the walruses. He also pretends the ground is so slippery that he has fallen and is sliding away (as pictured below).



 Owen knows the first rule of the outdoors is to "stay dry", yet he couldn't resist the puddles when he came to them. :)
 Three generations of outdoorsmen :)




 Sharing his fruit snacks with Pop Pop. :)



Even on this short little hike, there were moments I feared for Owen's life. (In my opinion, he stood a wee bit too close to a cliff's edge.) I truly can't imagine how I would (will) feel if he is climbing a mountain with Justin one day. But I know there will be lots and lots of praying! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment