Just a quick update on Marshall Man... At our 31 week checkup, the doctor officially declared Marshall a "big boy". I was not surprised by this at all, as he has felt very big to me. The tentative plan is to have an induction at 39 weeks due to his large size, and the difficult delivery I had with Owen. The day after that appointment, I started having regular contractions, coming every 10 minutes. This went on for a little over 2 hours. When it first started, I knew to sit down, and start drinking lots of water. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to make a bit of difference. By 7:00 PM, I finally bit the bullet and called my doctor. He said it was best to head over to labor and delivery to be monitored. Nannie came to babysit Owen and we hopped in the car. I'm truly not one to be panicked or overly worried- especially when it comes to medical things. So, while I was repeatedly saying things like, "oh this is silly, it's probably nothing.", I suddenly found myself in the passenger seat tearing up thinking, but what if it is something? I imagined delivering him at 31 weeks, and as a NICU nurse, I know all too well what that looks like. In addition, Paoli's NICU doesn't take babies younger than 32 weeks. So, I knew that if he were born that evening, they'd have to stabilize him and then transport him to Bryn Mawr Hospital. Or, if there was enough time prior to delivery, they would be transferring me to Lankenau to deliver him. Ugh! I hated even thinking about these possibilities. When we arrived at the hospital, they gave me a room right away and started monitoring my contractions.
They acknowledged that I definitely was contracting. I drank lots of water, and when that didn't make a difference, they started an IV and gave me more fluids that way. They ran some tests and determined that the likelihood of me delivering in the next two weeks was slim- thank the Lord! After checking me, they explained that despite the contractions, there were no cervical changes. My doctor came to talk to me and told me I had an "irritable uterus" and despite the contractions, felt it was safe to send me home. I had strict orders to take it easy the next couple of days, and to continue drinking lots of fluids. Thankfully, the contractions became less frequent by Sunday evening, and by Monday (memorial day), they were just sporatic without any obvious interval. I'm hoping and praying that this was our only pre-term trip to the hospital. And thanking God that he's letting my big boy Marshall cook a bit longer. :)
They acknowledged that I definitely was contracting. I drank lots of water, and when that didn't make a difference, they started an IV and gave me more fluids that way. They ran some tests and determined that the likelihood of me delivering in the next two weeks was slim- thank the Lord! After checking me, they explained that despite the contractions, there were no cervical changes. My doctor came to talk to me and told me I had an "irritable uterus" and despite the contractions, felt it was safe to send me home. I had strict orders to take it easy the next couple of days, and to continue drinking lots of fluids. Thankfully, the contractions became less frequent by Sunday evening, and by Monday (memorial day), they were just sporatic without any obvious interval. I'm hoping and praying that this was our only pre-term trip to the hospital. And thanking God that he's letting my big boy Marshall cook a bit longer. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment