Friday, July 11, 2014

O's First Birthday Party

We spent the morning of July 5th, the same as any other. We woke up with Owen (at the crack of dawn), and ate breakfast prior to helping him open his birthday presents from us. With his birthday party being the biggest "present" from us, we gave him just two other things; a popping lawn mower, and a defective $2.99 big green ball. Take a guess which one was his favorite. :)  Here's a video of him opening his gifts: 
 (if you receive this blog via email the video may not show up for you- you need to click on the actual blog link to view.)
He took a short afternoon nap, and then it was party time. 

I'd like to stop here and say that Pinterest is making it increasingly difficult to just have a traditional birthday party. It seems the thing of today is to build the parties up to something bigger and better than they were in the past.   ...it's a lot of pressure! I told myself, I was absolutely not going to go overboard and go all out for a one-year old's birthday party. I love my son to death, but lets face it... the party-theme/decor isn't really for him. I did a few things that were slightly more involved, but very enjoyable to do, and then that was it. I feel completely confident saying that he didn't noticed any of the details I put into it. He DID notice the balloons. :) But the rest went over his head. 
The theme I went with was- Animals. It seemed appropriate for a 1 year old boy. And I think overall it turned out cute- whether he noticed it or not.
Between our families and a couple close friends, we had a full crew to celebrate with. We had an absolutely beautiful day for his party (thank the Lord!)- so we were able to have it outside. We had LOTS of food and lots of fun. 
Owen was a little irritable at first- though I'm sure the party atmosphere with lots of people around may have had something to do with it.
His future wife, Harper, was unimpressed by him.
Her face cracks me up, it's seriously a "really...this guy!?" LOL

 He fussed a little bit through opening the presents, but turned into his cheery self midway through eating his cake... his entire cake. Yes, my son ate his entire birthday cake. The pictures speak for themselves. :)

And if you'd like to watch a video clip of him eating his cake, that's here too:

A riding horse passed down through the Hunt men, originally made my Owen's great, great, great, great grandfather (I think I put enough greats in there...)
Thanks so much to all our family and friends that helped us celebrate our little guy's first birthday! We were so thankful to have you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment