Friday, November 12, 2010

Our Overnight Guest

Last night Justin and I had my niece, Abbey, come over for a 'sleepover'. I have had sleepovers with her older sister and brother, but had yet to have one with just Abbey. The kids love having sleepovers with their Aunt, and I am fully aware that this will not last much longer.  I intend to enjoy it while I can. :) I have to say that while I love my nephew and all of my nieces equally, Abbey is at my absolute favorite age. She is so stinkin cute and has that half-baby, half-little girl thing going on. She has such a sweet nature about her and is a pleasure to be with. Justin feels the same and while he is admittedly not the most knowledgeable when it comes to children; He loves spending time with Abbey. She has her new Uncle completely wrapped around her finger. I think its safe to say this may be his favorite age as well. So last night I had anticipated having a wonderful night with my husband and Abbey.... But things didn't exactly go as planned.  Allow me to explain...
The first hiccup in the evening occurred when Justin informed me that due to an unexpected situation at work, he would not be home until after 11pm.  He was very disappointed by this as were Abbey and I. But we figured we would at least see him in the morning.  So the night planned for the 3 of us, turned into just the 2 of us.
We enjoyed a nice chicken dinner that I prepared... yes, I am getting more and more comfortable in the kitchen :) We read some books together and played with her toys. Then we got in our PJ's and watched a movie- with popcorn at Abbey's request. She said "mommy doesn't let me have popcorn at home, but I think it would be ok here"... so of course we did. :)
  We brushed our teeth before bed...
And that's right about when Abbey decided she did NOT want to have a sleepover anymore. She said that she needed her own toothpaste and needed to go home to get it. She explained that she did not want to wear her PJ's anymore because she was NOT going to go to bed. And the line "I really just miss Mommy" became her favorite phrase. I called Jen, knowing that she was just getting out of Bible study, and asked what she thought we should do. While still debating a course of action, Jen asked to talk to Abbey. Thats when the waterworks started... my happy little Abbey suddenly looked like this:
It was clear that my overnight guest would not be staying overnight. 
When Jen arrived, the transformation in Abbey was amazing. She was all smiles again. 
Just before leaving she wrote Uncle Justin a goodbye note, saying she was sorry she missed him. 
Goodbye waves from my 'short but sweet' dinner guest. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment